A remote RDZ Industries industro-military research and development facility has gone dark… Its factories are on overdrive, producing AI-controlled drone units that have destroyed everything in the facility. Take control of the brand new, highly experimental All-Purpose Assault Mech as you are sent to investigate the stricken facility — get in, regain control of the base systems, and find out what the hell happened.
RDZ Industries: Project Y4 is a singleplayer action-adventure RPG total conversion map for Warcraft III: the Frozen Throne.
(If you enjoyed the map, remember to rate it at ModDB!)
Note: some users have had problems downloading from ModDB, so here is an alternative DropBox link. Please download from ModDB if you can to keep the profile ticking over; this is only for emergencies.
The progress of the project, including discussions about everything from enemies and equipment to planned features and game design, was charted through numerous development diary blogs. If you want to get deep into the guts of how one man constructs a massive folly, read these in chronological order…
- Blog 375: introducing Arena Y4, where it all began.
- Blog 409: introducing Project Y4 the This Wreckage clone.
- Blog 410: a whirlwind tour around some map features.
- Blog 412: a talk about repurposing old artwork.
- Blog 413: a showcase of early weapons, shields and undercarriage mods.
- Blog 414: a showcase of the common enemies you’ll face in Y4.
- Blog 416: musings on death and respawn without making the game too hard or impossible to lose.
- Blog 417: making a maze generator, part 1.
- Blog 418: making a maze generator, part 2.
- Blog 422: introducing bonus mini-missions.
- Blog 427: panic panic panic… crisis averted.
- Blog 428: musings on how I always end up repeating myself.
- Blog 434: the return of “feature creep” as a design philosophy.
- Blog 435: imagine things going wrong, in a way that is impossible.
- Blog 439: why does RDZ Industries look the way it does?
- Blog 443: the premise of the first mini-mission is set in… ever-shifting sand.
- Blog 444: drone showcase video.
- Blog 447: progress report, some new equipment and mini-missions revealed.
- Blog 451: discussion of power-ups.
- Blog 454: discussion of permanent upgrades.
- Blog 463: my first attempt at history.
- Blog 471: to lock the camera, or not to lock the camera?
- Blog 485: recap of promised features that have been fulfilled… and some that haven’t.
- Blog 489: it’s just like… it’s just like… it’s just like a – mini – map.
- Blog 492: getting back to work.
- Blog 493: maze upgrades.
- Blog 499: miscellaneous concept sketches through the ages.
- Blog 500: sound effects.
- Blog 507: let’s do this in bits.
- Blog 509: announcing R01.
- Blog 510: R01 IS RELEASED
- Blog 526: look to the future, it’s only just begun.
- Blog 529: part A, part B, part C and part D: making Arena Y4.
- Blog 539: moar equipment, moar!
- Blog 549: how about we don’t let that procedural maze stuff go to waste?
- Blog 562: this difficulty lark is tough.
- Blog 569: the end, or at least an end.